Gross motor skills are an important part of child development! These Scarecrow Gross Motor Activities are perfect for preschoolers and kindergarteners!
This is a FREE 5 Page Downloadable PDF. Click HERE to access the FREEBIE LIBRARY!
In this post, we will look at what gross motor movements are addressed. Then, you can see a video that demonstrates the Scarecrow Scarecrow Gross Motor Movement Poem AND the large motor skills that go along with it. Finally, we will look at WHY gross motor development is important for fine motor skills! Best of all this activity is perfect for FALL!
FIRST, WHAT GROSS MOTOR MOVEMENTS ARE ADDRESSED IN THE SCARECROW GROSS MOTOR ACTIVITIES PACK?
- Tip Toe
- Shoulder Extension
- Turning in Circles
- Placing the pumpkin ON body parts. Meaning, kids are exposed to prepositions AND body parts!
- Crossing Midline
- Large Arm movements
Next, Let’s take a look at the Scarecrow Gross Motor video!
- Download the 5 PAGE FREE SCARECROW GROSS MOTOR ACTIVITIES PACK
- Read the instructional page
- Review the Poem provided in the pack!
- Print pages 1-3 on card stock and laminate. If you are doing this activity with a group of kiddos, make sure they EACH have a pumpkin (page 3). If you’re doing teletherapy or want some variations, kids can use a plastic pumpkin, a small real pumpkin, or pretend a ball is a pumpkin! Want to add some proprioceptive input to the activity? Fill the plastic pumpkin with a few mini bean bags! (make sure it’s an appropriate amount for your child).
- Watch the video to get an idea of how to complete the activity.
- HAVE FUN!
Finally, Let’s See WHY FINE and GROSS MOTOR SKILLS work together!
Gross motor skills help to improve balance, coordination, strength, and core stability! Having coordination, strength, and core stability means we now have a good base of support for our smaller muscles!
In other words, gross motor activities help support fine motor skills!
PLUS, the movement patterns in the Scarecrow Scarecrow Gross Motor Movement Poem provide input to the body preparing kids for work.
So many great skills and a ton of fun!
Here is some more information on how gross motor skills help support fine motor skills!
I get to work with some amazing pediatric physical therapists and am so very thankful their hard work helps support what I do! #teamwork
As always, make sure children have adult supervision for safety. These activities should not take the place of medical or therapeutic intervention.